Our back is a very complicated structure of the human anatomy. This is because it involves the spine- a fragile entity in itself, and our muscles which we rely heavily on to perform day-to-day activities, big or small. In short, our back plays quite a significant role in our ability to function as individuals. It doesn’t matter if you’re young or old, man or woman—everyone is susceptible to back pain.
What are the causes of back pain? What conditions are associated with it? How can we prevent back pain? What should we do if the pain is chronic? All these are legitimate questions that many, many people tend to ask. This is because almost everyone experiences back pain many times in his or her lifetime. Some of you may stress out, but before you go to a back pain specialist in Singapore, here are a few fun facts and some tips, which most back pain specialist in Singapore would agree and that you might need to know first.
- Back pain is a prevalent worldwide condition that affects almost everyone
- Lower back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide, according to studies.
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons why people miss work and is the second most common reason for the visits in a clinic—upper respiratory infections come first.
- Most cases of back pain do not come from serious conditions such as inflammatory arthritis, infection, or cancer. It is mostly non-organic or mechanical.
- Studies have shown that as much as 80% of the population will experience a type of back problem at some point in their lives.
Here are 5 tips on how you can prevent back pain:
- Maintain a healthy weight or lose weight if you need to
- Stretch before you exercise.
- Exercise daily
- Maintain good posture
- Quit smoking
As you noticed, all these categorize under living a healthy lifestyle. As with most diseases and conditions, it can be prevented by sticking to a healthy regimen. However, there are times when it can’t be but don’t worry because there are a lot of treatment options out there.
There are many resources available that can help you explore your condition with back pain. If it is chronic, make sure to go to a back pain specialist in Singapore just to have it checked out. As they say, it is still better to be safe. In the meantime, try to relax and ease yourself of stress and take breaks once in a while.