Many people around the world want to look slim and stay fit without doing any kind of physical work or daily exercises. With the increasing demand of lifestyle and looks many men and women are opting for different kinds of slimming pills and slimming supplements. But with the latest technology and efficient machinery comes the sleeve gastrectomy surgery that helps in slimming your body from the stomach region and results in weight loss. This process is performed way less than any other weight loss and body slimming surgery on a person. But under certain circumstances it is performed on the person to lose his weight and obesity. Sleeve gastrectomy is a new procedure that is performed to reduce body weight with the help of surgery by restricting food intake. In this surgery, 60% of the stomach is reduced by cutting it off in the form of tube or sleeve.
Why undergo sleeve gastrectomy?
Those people who are way more over weight than normal people and are suffering from obesity and are most likely to undergo sleeve gastrectomy. Increased obesity can lead to a risk of health problems and shorter life span. The risk of increased obesity is more dangerous than the treatment itself. The people who are eligible for sleeve gastrectomy surgery are:
- The person must be 100 pounds more than the usual average body weight according to the height.
- The person who have 80 pounds more than the usual body weight and are suffering from the life threatening obesity related problems such as diabetes, hypertension, and sleep apnea etc.
- Those overweight persons who have failed in every attempt to lose weight are eligible to undergo the sleeve gastrectomy surgery.
Procedure of sleeve gastrectomy surgery
Sleeve gastrectomy surgery includes dividing the stomach into half of its size by removing 60% of it in vertical direction. The surgery and the removed stomach part are not reversible. The stomach forms a shape of banana or tube like structure which reduces the volume of stomach and makes the person look slim. The nerves of the stomach remain intact to each other resulting in proper functioning. Reduced volume of the stomach also gives the feeling of always filled by eating a small meal.
Advantages of sleeve gastrectomy surgery
This surgery comes with many advantages, some of them are mentioned below:
- The stomach is reduced in size making your body look slimmer.
- The stomach is reduced in volume but performs its internal functions properly, so less amount of food can be consumed making it feel full.
- The hunger stimulating hormone production part is also removed in this surgery which makes you feel less hungry.
- The person does not have to suffer with dumping syndrome as the pylorus is preserved during surgery.
- Minimize the chances of having ulcers.
- It eliminates the chances of intestinal blockage, anemia, osteoporosis, protein and vitamin deficiency in body.
- Very effective for the first stage procedure for high BMI patients.
- Can be an ideal method for those people who are weighing over 500 pounds. It is usually done with the help of laparoscopy.